The Level Upstate Summer Program is a six-week intensive incubator for game developers looking to commercialize their creative ideas. Once accepted, you will pitch, prototype, and playtest game ideas, while simultaneously working to refine your products, understanding of the market, and business goals and strategies.
General Information and Requirements
Dates: Monday, July 11 to Friday, August 19, 2022
Application Deadline: Sunday, May 15, 2022
Level Upstate is open to all residents of New York State or students, companies, and teams with significant business involvement in New York State. Participants can be at any stage in the game development process – you may be at the early concept stage, or have a product in development, or you may have released games already. We look for applicants with evidence of strong team dynamic and potential for success. Solo developer applications and applications from individuals seeking to join a team will also be considered.
Participants Will Receive:
- Maximum of $3,500.00 per team member.
- Maximum of $10,500.00 per team,
Note: Stipend amounts are based on a team size of three (3) with full-time commitment. Stipend requests for larger team sizes, participants with part-time availability, or other unique situations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Applications may be submitted as text document (Word, PDF, Google Doc or OpenOffice document), presentation file (PowerPoint, Google Slides deck, Keynote presentation, or OpenOffice presentation), or a video pitch presentation (YouTube link or video file). Feel free to use whichever format presents your team best!
Please see the section below for guidance when drafting your application.
Submitting an Application
- What's your company's name?
- Who is your primary contact?
- Who are your team members?
- What are their roles?
- Are any current students at RPI?
- Will your team members be participating full- or part-time?
- Will your team members be requesting stipend support?
- Do you have a website or any social media?
- What does your company do? What's your primary focus?
- Who are you as a company? What makes you stand out?
- Do you have prior experience working together?
- Do you have uniquely strong dynamic?
- What are you bringing to the table?
- Who's your primary market or audience?
- Does your product aim to solve a specific (social, economic, etc.) problem?
- Do you have an idea for an area of emphasis that's overlooked in the market?
- Where are you as a company?
- Are you just getting started? Have you shipped a game?
- Do you have a product in progress? How far along are you?
- Have you formed an LLC? If not, do you have plans to do so?
- What work have you completed together as a team? Provide samples if applicable.
- What work have you completed individually? Provide samples if applicable.
- What are your goals if you're selected to participate in Level Upstate?
- What will "taking your company to the next level" mean for you?
- What does your company need?
- Are there roles in your team you need to fill?
- Do you need to gain specific technical expertise?
- Do you need to develop a specific business plan?
- Are you interested in design mentoring? Other mentoring?